Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Clicker Training

When I first got my dog, Lucy, she was naughty. She would bark incessantly every time I left her side, when left alone in the house she would chew and destroy everything in sight; the couch, area rugs, shoes, pillows, blankets, even the potted plants were in danger of her wrath. Her worst habit of all was jumping on people that we would pass during trail runs. She was happy to see people and eagerly wanted to greet them, but she definitely lacked social grace. People really don't like muddy paw prints on their Nike shirts. So, I realized it was time to take action. I bought a clicker. Positive reinforcement training with a clicker was a godsend. Eventually, Lucy learned to be a good dog. No more jumping, minimal chewing, and no barking when I left her side. I can say now that she is almost a perfect dog.... she is still obsessed with chasing cats (I don't think anything can cure the lure of the feline).

So, why am I thinking about my dog and clickers? I read an article about clickers in the NY Times today. But the dogs being 'trained', weren't dogs.. they were students. And I guess they weren't really being trained (although that is one way to look at it). They were being engaged. Recently, university professors at Harvard and Northwestern, among others, are using "clickers" or wireless devices. Students use the devices to check into class, answer multiple quiz questions, and indicate if they are confused without raising their hands. The biggest benefit that professors are seeing with these new devices is that they are increasing student attention. Students aren't able to doze off, text friends, space out, and daydream during a lecture because they are using these devices to 'engage' in the content. As I was reading this article, I started thinking about my own class. When I use hand held white boards with students, it increases their attention because they know that they will write something and hold it up for me to see. They are more engaged with the hand held white board than if they didn't have it. And I'm pretty sure they would be even more engaged if those white boards were digital. Our world and the people in it are becoming increasingly more and more digital and, thus, more digitally engaged. It only makes sense that our classrooms reflect our world. I like the idea of these devices and I wish that I had had access to this technology while I was in college. The article stated that some students resent the big brother potential of the clicker. I can see that point of view. But, I think the potential benefits outweigh the negatives. If the clicker is increasing student involvement and thinking, what more could a teacher or student ask for? Okay.. okay... a liver treat would be a great addition.

Now, if Lucy just had opposable thumbs, she could get a university degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment