Saturday, April 3, 2010

E (español) books...



Last week during independent reading, I watched a group of students fight over one specific book. The book that has inspired so much attention (and tugging) is "Quién Salta". It's a prized possession in our classroom library. I'm not sure I entirely understand the appeal of this book, but students love it. And they all want to read it...all at the same time. As I watched students vying for this book, I thought about how my life as a teacher would be easier if each student had their own copy of each book in our library. The great part of the school I teach at is that I could probably order a copy for each student. But, then, there is always the inevitable question of space. Teaching grades K-5 and providing a library of interesting books for each grade level has it's own challenges, then add the question of space in there and things get sticky. Where do all of these books go? The courtyard? Seriously. There is not enough room to house them all in my classroom. The solution is simple. E-books. The benefits are clear. Each student carries around an entire library in one convenient little pocket sized "book". According to the Horizon Report, the length of time it could take to adopt and implement e-books into the classroom is two to three years. Hmmm.... I'm ready for them now. Please?! And so is little Johnny who hasn't had the honor of reading "Quién Salta".

Until our e-books arrive, I'll teach my students to play "piedra, papel, tijeras (rock, paper, scissors)" with their classmates to decide who gets the best book.

No comments:

Post a Comment